South Carolina Has the 3rd Fastest Recovery for Weekly Unemployment Claims in the U.S. – WalletHub Study
Despite the fact that the U.S. is still grappling with a fall surge in the COVID-19 pandemic, new unemployment claims decreased week-over-week on October 19, and were 89% below the peak during the COVID-19 pandemic. To help add some context to these statistics, WalletHub just released updated rankings for the States Whose Weekly Unemployment Claims Are Recovering the Quickest, along with accompanying videos and audio files.
To identify which states’ workforces are experiencing the quickest recovery from COVID-19, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across three metrics based on changes in unemployment claims. Below, you can see highlights from the report, along with a WalletHub Q&A. To see the states most recovered since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, click here.
Change in South Carolina Weekly Unemployment Claims (1=Quickest Recovery, 25=Avg.):
- 85.72% Change in Unemployment Claims (Latest Week vs Last Year)
- 3,837 the week of October 19, 2020 vs 2,066 the week of October 21, 2019
- 6th quickest recovery in the U.S.
- -48.64% Change in Unemployment Claims (Latest Week vs Start of 2020)
- 3,837 the week of October 19, 2020 vs 7,471 the week of January 1, 2020
- The quickest recovery in the U.S.
- 1,140.98% Change in Unemployment Claims (Since Start of COVID-19 Crisis vs Last Year)
- 778,960 between the week of March 16, 2020 and the week of October 19, 2020 vs 68,271 between the week of March 18, 2019 and the week of October 21, 2019
- 14th slowest recovery in the U.S.
To view the full report and your state’s rank, please visit: