Dr. Stephen Hefner is Lexington 3’s Interim Superintendent
On Tuesday, May 14, the Lexington County School District 3 Board of Trustees voted to name Dr. Stephen Hefner as Interim Superintendent of the Batesburg-Leesville school system.
Dr. Hefner will replace current Lexington 3 Superintendent Dr. Randall Gary who will leave in June to serve as the new Superintendent of Spartanburg District 5.
Hefner will assume his position in Lexington County School District Three July 1.
Dr. Hefner is an award-winning Superintendent who retired from Lexington-Richland School District 5 in 2018 after leading the district for 7 years.
Prior to that, he sat at the helm of Richland County School District 2 where he served as Superintendent from 1994 until 2010.
Other notable honors from Dr. Hefner’s long list of achievements and accolades include:
- Outstanding Educator of the Year Award from the South Carolina Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development in 1997
- Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of South Carolina College of Education in 2006
- Palmetto Pillar Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Technology from the Greater Columbia (SC) Chamber of Commerce and the Information Technology Council in 2007
- Community Champion Award from the United Way of the Midlands in 2010
- Commander’s Award for Public Service from the U.S. Department of the Army in 2010
- William B. Harley Administrator of the Year Award from the South Carolina Association of School Administrators in 2010
- Outstanding School Superintendent Award from the South Carolina Career and Technology Education Administrators Association in 2015
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the Greater Irmo Chamber of Commerce in 2018
Hefner will serve as the Interim Superintendent of Lexington County School District 3 for the 2019-2020 school year or until the Board of Trustees appoints a new Superintendent.