Schools closing early, activities canceled due to severe weather
Lexington County schools have canceled all afterschool activities for today due to forecasted high winds, heavy rains and possible flooding.
All 5 school districts have canceled afternoon and evening activities, including athletic events, extracurricular activities, after-school programs and adult education classes.
Early dismissals are as follows:
- Lexington District 1 in Lexington, Pelion and Gilbert will dismiss elementary students at 11:15 am. Middle and High schools will dismiss at 12:15 pm.
- District 2 in Cayce-West Columbia will be dismissing students early ahead of the forecasted storms. Dismissal will begin at 11 am for elementary schools, and noon for middle and high schools.
- District 3 in Batesburg-Leesville will dismiss: B-L Primary School at 11:30 am, B-L Elementary School at 11:45 am, B-L Middle School at 12:15 pm, and B-L High School at 12:30 pm.
- District 4 in Gaston and Swansea will dismiss: Early Childhood Center at 10:30 am, Sandhills Primary/Elementary at 10:45 am, Francis Mack Intermediate at noon, Sandhills Middle School at 11:30 am, Swansea High Freshman Academy at 11:45 am, and Swansea High at noon.
- Lexington-Richland District 5 in Irmo and Columbia will dismiss elementary and intermediate students at 11:15 am. The middle and high schools will dismiss between noon and 12:25.
The latest National Weather Service forecast includes high winds, heavy rains and possible flooding, which can produce unsafe travel conditions, especially for school buses. According to guidelines from the SC Department of Education, buses should not operate when sustained winds are at 30 mph or greater, or in frequent gusts exceeding 40 mph.