Report suspected covid-19 fraud
Acting US Attorney Lance Crick has urged the public to report suspected fraud related to covid-19.
You can call the National Center for Disaster Fraud (NCDF) hotline at 1-866-720-5721 or the NCDF by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attorney General William Barr has directed US Attorneys to prioritize the investigation and prosecution of corona virus fraud schemes.
“In these extraordinary times, criminals are taking advantage of the most vulnerable Americans through various phony schemes,” Crick said.
Some schemes include:
· Individuals and businesses selling fake cures for covid-19 online and engaging in other forms of fraud.
· Phishing emails from criminals posing as the World Health Organization or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
· Malicious ransomware websites and apps that appear to share covid-19 information to gain and lock access to your devices until you pay.
· Seeking donations fraudulently for illegitimate or non-existent charities.
· Medical providers obtaining patient information for covid-19 testing and using that to fraudulently bill you for other tests and procedures.